Mental Health First Aid Course – Duration: 1 day (Entry Level 1)
Our Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) entry level 1, is a one day training course which teaches people how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue.
Training can be carried out in house, at your venue, anywhere in the UK.
MHFA won’t teach you to be a therapist, but it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
You’ll learn to recognise warning signs of mental ill health, and develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone while keeping yourself safe.
You’ll also learn how to empower someone to access the support they might need for recovery or successful management of symptoms. This could include self-help books or websites, accessing therapy services through their GP, their school or place of work, online self-referral, support groups, and more.
What’s more, you’ll gain an understanding of how to support positive wellbeing and tackle stigma in the world around you.
This course can be provided over one day. Additional training is available for the Level 2 and Level 3 courses.
- Know what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions,
- The role of a First Aider for mental health,
- Support for the First Aider’s mental health,
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting with a suspected mental health condition,
- Early warning signs,
- Listening skills,
- When to contact emergency services,
- Know how to recognise and manage stress,
- Coping strategies,
- Know how to recognise a range of mental health conditions including depression, eating disorders, suicide, self harm…